Browsing from Win95/98 possible only if Samba is master

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Aug 21 03:34:17 GMT 2000

Gerry Kirk wrote:

> At 8/20/00 11:07 PM, you wrote:
>
> >If the NT PDC *isn't* the browser, AFAIK it will get very upset.

We have people bring in laptops running Windows 98 and it tends to steal
DMB status from the PDC. It still copes OK, it's just that most machines
would need to be restarted to register themselves with the new DMB.

> NT
> >PDCs (oy maybe just one of the DCs) want to be the domain master and
> >the local master for the subnet they are on.  You can stop Samba from
> >being a browser by setting:
> >
> >   domain master = no
> >   local master = no
> >   preferred master = no
> >   os level = 0
> >
> >I think those are right, anyway.
>
> Yes, that's what I had before, but when I did, the samba linux server did
> not appear in Network Neighbourhood.

Something that worked for me in a similar situation was to use the
following:

domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 1

This will force an election with the PDC (or other Master browser) that
it is always going to lose. It seems that this causes the other Master
Browser to register the Samba box with the DMB.

Then again, it could just be a coincidence. ;-)

Hope it helps,
Matt
--

Matthew Geddes