success report and a little question

Thomas sarfata at altern.org
Sun Aug 20 04:20:04 GMT 2000

-- I have tried to subscribe to the mailing list but have not received
an ACK yet, so please CC answers to me --

Hi,

I just spent the night trying to build a Windows 2000 Domain in my
basement. It took me a few hours but it works pretty well, my Win2000
computers log on the domain, and I can retreive user list, printer list,
(i can not retrieve computer list using the Microsoft Management Console
while trying to connect to another computer though, but i just have to
type in the name of the box and it connects well).
I would say it's pretty slow when retrieving user list, but I have seen
NT4 doing the same work, and it wasn't really faster ...

I still have a problem with printers.
I have two printers (in fact it's the same, one with color driver, and
the other without), that worked well under win98 when using Apple
Postscript Drive (LaserWriter II NT and Laserwriter color), but I do not
manage to install them under win 2k :
Windows tells me that there is no driver for this printer, I choose a
.inf (biosinfo.inf from i386\), and it tells me that this driver isn't
compatible with my version of windows or is not available.

Do you have an answer to this problem ?

thanx for the great job you do, I am still waiting for Active Directory
... ;)   (jokes apart, I tried to connect to an Active Directory server
with an LDAP client, but didn't manage to authenticate myself, has
anyone succeeded here ?)

sarfata at altern.org