lsa_open_secret: cannot open secret_db?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Aug 18 17:01:46 GMT 2000

Hi Matt,

>> My particular efforts at deploying SAMBA_TNG have gone well for the most part,
>> but I find that Win9x machines can only connect to the PDC as a fileserver if
>> their workgroup is set to the name of the NT domain.

> What happens when you tell Windows to log onto the domain? As you
> probably know, it doesn't join the domain, but you should find that you
> can have whatever workgroup you like as long as the domain is set
> correctly.

Matthew,

You're right -- if I configure the Win9x box to log onto the NT domain, and
log on using a valid user/password, I'm able to connect to the PDC for
fileservice.  But this means that the Win9x box can only ever connect to one
Samba-run PDC at a time.  Is this also a known limitation with NT PDCs?  I
would think it isn't.

For the time being at least, we only have one NT domain to deal with, so this
will work for us here.  But it still smells like a bug to me...

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer