samba development

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu Aug 17 07:54:32 GMT 2000

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 01:16:00PM +1000, Chris Odgers wrote:

> and then having the
> 'official' samba project set back by many months as they try to retro-fit the
> ideas 'documented' by this 'reference implementation' to the 'official'
> version of Samba, months from now.

This is what is happening already. We're making progress - wait
until 2.2.x ships before passing judement. I think you'll be
pleased.

> Always there will be differing opinions about ideas, both political and
> technical, but it would be a shame to see everybody's work set back to a
> large degree by idealogical issues.  But then, if Luke wants to fork code
> which he has had a very large time and effort stake in, then it's his
> perogative.

Of course, anyone can fork the Samba code at any time
if they think we're doing a bad job - that's one of the
strengths of the GPL.

Luke deciding to fork a branch is essentially what already
happened with TNG - what makes it hard is when changes that
the team members who normally work in HEAD don't agree with
are made there without consultation.

No one *ever* makes changes in TNG without the explicit
consent or request of the maintainers of that branch. We
just need the same consideration in the HEAD and 2.0.x
branches.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.