samba development

Greg Dickie greg at discreet.com
Wed Aug 16 16:58:15 GMT 2000

Speaking for myself I am very dissappointed but I can't say I didn't see this
coming. I have been a user of samba for many years and I think it's first rate
software, I've evangelized it many times but this event saddens me. Samba needs
DC funtionality and it needs rpcclient and this was coming from you. Our whole
infrastructure has managed to stay NT-serverless because of you. Thank-you for
that!

I've always believed that debate among people involved in any
software project is healthy and ultimately the software is better for that but
I can see how you would get discouraged. I only hope that someone else will
pick up the torch, I would be very saddened to see VA Linux or some other
corporate entity be the one deciding what samba will do next.

Good luck Luke and thanks for your help, you will be missed,
Greg

On 16-Aug-00 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i started on the nt domains for unix project on the basis of paul ashton's
> enthusiastic and "this can't be too hard" attitude, back in august 97.
>
> since then, with the encouragement of a number of people over the last
> three years, and with the discouragement of others, the nt domains
> protocols are now pretty well understood.
>
> due to that constant discouragement, i no longer find it as enjoyable to
> work on samba as i did.  the enjoyment from discovering new ground is no
> longer offset by the constant dismissal of the ideas and solutions that i
> come up with.
>
> those solutions come from a far-sighted understanding of what is involved,
> and what can be achieved.  i never intend to just "solve the problem at
> hand", i intend to think ahead of what can be achieved both now _and_ in
> the future.
>
> to that end, the constant dismissal of my development approach, the
> constant dismissal of coding solutions, the constant dismissal of designs,
> is just too much.
>
> if anyone can think of a solution to this, please let me know.  in the
> mean-time, i shall find other projects to work on.
>
> all the best,
>
> luke

Greg Dickie
Just A Guy