samba development

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Wed Aug 16 16:11:18 GMT 2000

Sander Striker wrote:

> Luke, everyone,
>
> I consider this announcement a very big loss. I haven't been around
> long when it comes to Samba, but I know what achievements have been
> made that can be lead back to Luke.
> What made me worry over the last period has come true; conflicts
> among team members lead to demotivation of certain team members, Luke
> included.

For me, is a very big loss, a grief.

I don't know what's the real cause (if only one exists), but I think a
bit of this may be motivated by the burden of extra work in the
HEAD/TNG/3.0 maintenance and development. A lot of people may be
confused and this makes "a bit" of noise and pressure in the lists (in
the wrong one almost) and over the team.

Perhaps in the future, the develop and head branches may be clearly
differentiate and scheduled. The develop branch -no the technical- may
be a bit restricted... I remember the start of the TNG branch, and the
impatience of a lot of people... The TNG has been developed under a lot
of pressure... too much. The changes has been so fast that a lot of
(well trained) people don't follows the course, and they can help, and
so forth. Plainly: a lot of people tested versions that can't manage.

Thanks, Luke, I wish this may be a summer storm.

But perhaps the two of best best notices for M$ of the year may be: 1)
this, 2) internal dissension's in the Samba Team if this occurs.

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/