Samba Development

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Wed Aug 16 18:04:45 GMT 2000

I have been monitoring the list for about a year now and have come to rely
heavily on Samba in my office.  We have an office of 10 people and are
running RH Linux with Samba 2.0.7 acting as a DC and file server for both
applications and data.  One of the reasons I pushed for a Linux based server
was because of the efforts of people like Luke who seem to be continually
pushing the envelope.  Although I am really a novice, I recognize the value
Lukes opinions and efforts offer to the long term viability of the project.
This causes me great concern for Samba in general.  Will it keep up with the
changes in M$ to maintain interoperability?  or will it be orphaned over
time?  Maybe I'm pushing the panic button here, but as I said, I fall more
into the 'new and enthusiastic user' category than the old line 'I was Linux
before Linux was cool crowd' :)

I certainly hope this issue can be resolved and development can continue
toward a Samba release version that fully supports domain control, PDC, BDC,
trusts, etc....
otherwise, it seems as if I'm doomed to eventually be pushed back to M$ for
these services :(

I believe Luke will be sorely missed.

Only my two cents....

Good Luck and Best Regards Luke.