Samba TNG 2.6 - Questions

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at mail.xavier.sa.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 11:05:20 GMT 2000

Quoting Thom May <thomas at amxstudios.com>:

> Hi there.
> First of all, a big thank you to all the samba
developers. You
> guys are saving me from the evilness that is NT :-)

They are very good. ;-)

> However, I\'m running into some conceptual problems
with TNG. (At
> the moment we have a single 2.0.7 server, but we
really need
> single logins and we have 2000 boxes. So, i\'m thinking
of going
> the multi server route, which seems to be the way to
do it.
> However, the compile, while it works (mostly - bug
report
> following) doesn\'t create any files in any of the
confdirs. So
> I\'m wondering. Which files need to be human created
(smb.conf
> obviously, smbpasswd) and which are created at run
time?

Check out Lars\' FAQ
(http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/). The files
you need to create are shown there. I\'m pretty sure that
everything else gets created automagically. ;-)

> Also, for the mulitple versions option, do I need to
use smbd
> from 2.0.7 and the rest of the daemons from TNG or is
it
> slightly more cunning than that?

Apparently this bit don\'t work no more (if you\'re
talking about using bits from TNG and bits from the
stable version). TNG works fine by itself for me.

Hope it helps,
Matt

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager