TNG alpha 2.6

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Fri Aug 11 16:42:33 GMT 2000

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 07:08:12PM +1000, Wilson Yau wrote:
> If I want NT-PDC logon & network printing for both Win98 & NT clients,
> which Samba version is the best, Head branch or TNG?
>
> I am currently using Samba_TNG_2_5_GOOD, having no problems with NT
> clients, but Win98.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wilson

2.6 is meant to be the successor of Samba_TNG_2_5_GOOD, so
I suggest, you try 2.6.

2.0.x has stable support for 9x logons, but the PDC
functionality is ... well... basic... officialy (AFAIK) it
isn't there.

> Matthew Geddes wrote:
[...]
> > We have Windows 95 working here from a CVS a couple of weeks ago. Has
> > something been broken^H^H^H^H^H^Hfixed since? It hasn't been placed
> > under any great load though. File serving works fine as well

I don't think, that I broke anythin in respect to 9x. I
have mostly worked on the DCE/RPC stuff and 9x doesn't know
anything about DCE/RPC.

On the other side, Jens says, that it doesn't work for him.

Other reports on this stuff?

If it doesn't work for anyone and you have the time, please
try HEAD. And then report.

> > > 3) Printing is currently also not completely functional,
> > > because it is being developed in another tree and at times
> > > we try to merge this back into this tree.
> >
> > I know of a company that is using printing quite happily with Windows
> > 2000. They havven't e-mailed me with any problems.

Ahh... So it isn't completely broken.

    Elrond