security=server

Charles Crawford ccrawford at atsengineers.com
Fri Aug 11 12:19:47 GMT 2000

Problem:
With samba.conf having 'security = server' set, and the domain
controller is an NT server, I am having time-out problems with some
network printers being shared through SAMBA, but connected via
hpjetdirect cards. (actually, it's only one printer that is giving
me problems, since the others are design-jets in our CAD dept. which
are only accessed by 2 computers (win98) a few times per day.)

Setup:
The network is setup a little differently than most that I've worked
with in the past. Namely, we have about 40 client machines (win98 and
winNTWS 4.0) that are connected to two cisco (3524 & 3548) switches
(connected to each other with a 1000Mbps (GBIC) uplink), that are
connected to a cisco 3512 switch via a crossover cable (100Mbps) as
the uplink. I realize that this crossover cable is a bottleneck,
and a fiber-optic uplink is on its way, but I need to know about
the authentication procedures.

Question:
If the authentication procedure is as follows, I do not see where the
time-outs would come from:

client->samba->NTDC->samba->client

But, if it is as follows, then I can see a problem with time-outs:

client->samba->client->NTDC->client->samba->client

So, which is it? Is there anything in particular that I should be
aware of?

Also, on a slightly different topic, are the group definitions handled
by the NTDC?

Abbreviations:
client=win98 or winNT Workstation 4.0
samba=samba (linux) server