print spool directory filling up

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Aug 11 08:54:26 GMT 2000

Lars Kirkeskov Pedersen wrote:

> I've never been near a Solaris Machine, but I have one question
>
> > > Ok .. this is a brute force method, but it should work:
> > >
> > > print command = /usr/bin/lpr  -P%p -r %s;rm %s
>
> Somewhere along the line Michael Glauche wrote:
> <citation>
> Hmm .. it looks allright, lpr -r tells the unix printing sysgtem to print
> and remove the file if it was successfull.
> <\citation>
>
> Wouldn't that be better modelled with the command:
>
> print command = /usr/bin/lpr  -P%p -r %s && rm %s
>                                          ^^
>
> which, a least as far as I know, only will do rm %s if the first
> command is succesfull? (if lpr has sane return values, that is!)

The fact is that, although lpr probably returns correct values, why are
you going to keep a file if the lpr fails?
It can't be relaunched from there by users that don't even know the file
name probably.
Doing this you only let the spool directory fill up again.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451