Win2K won't join domain...

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Thu Aug 10 14:47:47 GMT 2000

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:59:59PM +1000, Juergen Bock wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I know there were discussions about that, but at the time I didn't
> care and now when I need it, the list archives are down. So, please
> forgive me, but I didn't find a FAQ for that.
>
> I set up TNG-2.5.3 (and upgraded to 2.6.0 this morning) on a

2.5.3 is known to have probs.

> solaris 2.6 box, it looks like it's working for NT4. I can join the
> domain, change my password, I'm domain admin and all the

Fine.

> necessary stuff.
> Yet my new Win2K box refuses to join the domain. I tried the
> netdom utility and the GUI, neither worked. The error messages are
> something like "Wrong Parameter" or "The provided login
> information are conflicting with the current login information"
> (translated from German).

The last error sounds like the new error-text for
something, that was called "credential set"-bla in nt4...
(You could have included the german message too)

This basicly means:

You were already connected to the samba-server with some
other user and now you wanted to connect as the admin-user
(root) to join the domain. Did you try to use explorer to
browse your samba-box?

Try to reboot the w2k-box, login and go straight to the
gui-box for joining, and make sure, no drives are connected
or somesuch.

For the first error, I've no ideas... You should check the
logs from samba for obvious error-messages.

    Elrond