Why machines in passwd anyway? [was Re: NT machine accounts in FreeBSD?]

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Wed Aug 9 16:36:04 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:
> Kevin Colby wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking the same thing myself.
> > Why should the UID have anything to do with the RID?
>
> No one that has asked this question has provided
> an alternative.  I'm open to other possibilities.
>
> * Fact: in order to ensure uniqueness between
> machine trust account RIDs and user / group RIDs,
> the current samba implementation links these to uids.

Why not keep the RIDs wherever you are keeping the NT-hashed
password?  Ever since encrypted passwords became a near
neccessity, we have accepted that there will be user account
information outside of the usual suspects.
What makes the RID any different?

My apologies if this has been debated a thousand times already.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com