Why machines in passwd anyway? [was Re: NT machine accounts in FreeBSD?]

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed Aug 9 02:14:14 GMT 2000

[Jerry Carter]
> This is a good idea I think.  Luke's original idea left open the
> possibility of actually storing information in the home directory of
> a machine trust account.  This will never happen I think.

Ew, I don't like the sound of that....

> With the above proposed scheme, the only naging detail is to make
> sure that the above number space will not overlap with any of the
> RID's generated for user uid's.

Maybe you will accuse me of resurrecting SURS, but I don't see why the
RID can't be just assigned once and then stored in the smbpasswd file
(or tdb, or SURS table, or whatever).  This goes for both trust
accounts and user accounts, exactly like NT does.  (Not that that's a
reason to do it!)

This will only fail for `encryption=no'.  And that isn't an issue when
you have machine trust accounts in the picture anyway.

Peter