today's head branch code

Rajeev Agrawala rajeeva at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Aug 8 16:52:14 GMT 2000

I did make clean;make proto;make, and now I can connect from NT. Now I
want to know, how to add a printer. Here is my setup and what I have
tried so far unsuccessfully.

I have LPRng setup on the same machine which is running samba.

When I start samba, it loads all the printers from lprng's printcap
file.

I can see all the printers, when I browse the machine from NT, along
with a folder named printers.

When I go into folder printers, I see all the printers and another Icon
'add printers'
This is a bit different from initial behavior (prior to tdb). Earlier I
would see only those printers for which I had added drivers.

When I click on add printer, in the list of available ports I see only
One port labeled samba. Ealier I would see name of all the printers as
port names.

When I select the samba port and the driver, It asks for printer name.
If I choose the printer name which was there in printcap, samba
complains that a printer by that name already exists. So I chose a new
name. The program then copies the driver files to samba server
successfully(?). But finally I get an error message, Add printer
operation failed, an RPC error has occurred.

Please let me know any missing step or the method to add printer driver.

Thanks,

rajeev