PAM support in 2.0.x and TNG

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Mon Aug 7 08:37:09 GMT 2000

You're confusing PAM and NSS I think. Samba will only use PAM if "encrypted
passwords = no". Since you're talking about machine accounts, and hence
domain controllers, "encrypted passwords = yes" is required. Hence, samba
doesn't ever receive the clear text password, and PAM is useless to Samba.

The NSS on the other hand (which is responsible for name ->
uid/gid/homedir/shell mappings) on Solaris and Linux at least, is used just
like in any other program. When a connection is made, samba does a
getpwname(login_name_after_NT_to_UNIX_mapping) to get the uid/gid/secondary
groups to switch down to from root.

I'm not really following what you want to do, but suffice to say that
provided you have PAM_ldap and NSS_ldap set up correctly, you can put
accounts wherever you like. The (old) LDAP support in Samba is a little more
picky though, especially if you create the accounts using "smbpasswd -a", or
the samedit equivalent.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |