Forcing Domain Logons in Win98

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Sun Aug 6 11:37:54 GMT 2000

    James> Hi all,

    James> I know the question of how to force win 98 machines to
    James> logon probably comes up often, but I haven't used Samba in
    James> production for a while and can't remember exactly how to do
    James> it.

    James> I *think* you have to hack one of the the dlls
    James> (mprserv.dll?), but could someone please confrim this for
    James> me, or perhaps send me the hacked file (I don't currently
    James> have access to a resource editor).

You need to add a value called LogonMustValidate (I think that's the
name) to HKLM\Network (or it could be HKLM\Software\Network).  It
needs to be a DWORD with data of 0x01.

Beware that this makes it more painful than necessary if the computer
develops a problem with the network.  On 95, I hit Control-Escape at
the logon box and File/Run "explorer" to get round it; I have a
feeling that 98 may not allow that, but I can't check it as we don't
use 98.

--
Paul Collins <pjdc at eircom.net> - - - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD