[TNG] Status (and merging)

Jacob Bohn Lorensen jacob.lorensen at e-postboks.dk
Sat Aug 5 09:38:13 GMT 2000

    Matthew> David Bannon wrote:

    >> If TNG cannot be merged back into mainstream Samba then that
    >> sounds like mainstream Samba won't do PDC to W2000 and that is
    >> plain scary.  Can I suggest the team considers slowing down on
    >> some of the gee wiz functions and concentrating on heading
    >> towards a useable product for people like me who face the
    >> prospect of needing a PDC that accepts W2000 clients and
    >> provides performance similar to 'main stream' samba. The
    >> pressure for a product like this is getting pretty significent,
    >> even I have started to think about products from the Evil
    >> Empire ! (Not seriously but Samba must fight to remain
    >> relevent).

    Matthew> SAMBA_TNG_2_5_GOOD and later CVS work with Win2K, NT,
    Matthew> 9x. I have used it with profiles, Login scripts and
    Matthew> printing. User Damager for Domains also mostly works
    Matthew> ;-). Maybe this would be enough for us that have to use
    Matthew> Samba TNG now and let the Samba team work on the merge
    Matthew> (samba 3?).

I am using this version of samba TNG for my home network (a mixture of
FreeBSD, Win98 and Win2k machines.).

I would like to get printing working with Win2k.

>From the file log file /var/log/samba.log.spoolss I gather I need a file called
/local/lib/NTprinter_<printername>. From the source I gather it is an
ascii file with lines of the form

	<attribute name>:<attribute value>

However - how do I create this file? Which attribute values should I
use? The file should be for an HP LaserJet 1100 printer.

I haven't been able to find any documentation that tells me how to
create this file.

Thanks for your time,
Jacob.

--
Jacob Lorensen; Mosebuen 33, 1.; DK-2820 Gentofte, Denmark; +45 39560401
PGPid: 0x752EB4DE Fingerprint: F609A0BAFF393EA904F7-F344680F8EED752EB4DE