question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Fri Aug 4 16:53:55 GMT 2000

    Simo> Paul J Collins wrote:
    >> To the best of my knowledge, this is initiated by the server,
    >> and there is an smb.conf setting to change the interval (this
    >> came up when TNG's password changing didn't work).

    Simo> I'm not sure, I think it is changed by the machine.

Me either, but I thought I remembered Luke mentioning some smb.conf
parameter to control this.

    >> Er, when you image the machine, all record of the domain it was
    >> in will be lost, including the current machine account
    >> password.  There is probably a way to put the password back in
    >> the machine's LSA secrets, but is it really worth the bother?

    Simo> you're wrong.
    Simo> With ghost I make a phisical Image of the machine and all the data,
    Simo> registry and whatever you want is preserved. Is a perfect snapshot.\
    Simo> So saving the smbpasswd entry you should have everything you need
    Simo> anyway.

When I used the word "image", I was speaking of the act of writing the
image file onto a new machine.  What I was saying was that the
destination machine will need to have its machine name changed, which
requires a fresh machine account to be created.  I always take the
image source out of the domain before I create the image file from it,
so that whoever is using it will have less difficulty working out why
they can't log on.

Possibly you are doing something different with the image, but I don't
currently understand the urgent need to preserve the machine account
password.

--
Paul Collins <pjdc at eircom.net> - - - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD