question about machine hostid in smbpasswd Samba 2.0.6a

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Aug 4 15:03:33 GMT 2000

Paul J Collins wrote:

>     Simo> "Melissa M. Thrush" wrote:
>     >>
>     >> I have Samba 2.0.6a working as a PDC on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It's been
>     >> working fine and I have machines added to the smbpasswd by using
>     >> the "smbpasswd -a -m" command.  Recently I installed a new "pc image" (OS,
>     >> apps, etc.) onto a pc that had been working as a member of the domain.
>     >> When the new image was installed however, a user could no longer log into
>     >> the domain from this pc.  I had to readd the machine to the smbpasswd file
>     >> even though it already was there.
>     >>
>     >> My question, is the encrypted smbpasswd hash comprised somehow of the
>     >> machine's hostid (serial number)?  Because when I install a new "pc image"
>     >> the new image has a different "serial number/hostid" than the previous
>     >> image.
>     >>

>     Simo> We used the same method there with ghost software principally.
>     Simo> We have to readd machines also to Win Domains because of machine
>     Simo> passwords.
>     Simo> By default machine password are changed every week, so an image older
>     Simo> then a week fails it's autenthication because of wrong password.
>     Simo> Password are changed by the client and I do not know any way to avoid
>     Simo> it.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this is initiated by the server, and
> there is an smb.conf setting to change the interval (this came up when
> TNG's password changing didn't work).

I'm not sure, I think it is changed by the machine.

> In any case, you're going to have to change the machine name of the
> image, so you'll have to recreate the machine account.
>
>     Simo> A way to not have the machine rejoin a sambaPDC server may
>     Simo> be to save the smbpasswd entry when you make the machine
>     Simo> image and restore this entry when you install back that
>     Simo> image, this is untested anyway, but.
>
> Er, when you image the machine, all record of the domain it was in
> will be lost, including the current machine account password.  There
> is probably a way to put the password back in the machine's LSA
> secrets, but is it really worth the bother?

you're wrong.
With ghost I make a phisical Image of the machine and all the data,
registry and whatever you want is preserved. Is a perfect snapshot.\
So saving the smbpasswd entry you should have everything you need
anyway.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451