Moving NT users to Samba PDC

Ricardo Campos Passanezi riccp at ige.unicamp.br
Thu Aug 3 19:03:54 GMT 2000

Em 01.08.2000, Ricardo Campos Passanezi escreveu:

> Em 29.07.2000, Elrond escreveu:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 06:32:06AM +1000, rsorenson30 at netscape.net wrote:
> > > I am looking to move my existing NT PDC to a Samba PDC.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to move my users and password from my NT PDC to the new Samba PDC ? I am not looking forward to the thought that I may have to do manual entry.
> > >
> > > Any of the reading on the mailing lists and Samba docs do not mention, how to move an existing NT PDC to a Samba PDC. If there is some help out there it would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > thanks
> >
> > If you only need to move over the usernames/passwords, you
> > can try some pwdump2-utility to create something like an

I've used the utility "pwdump" from:

ftp://ftp2.unicamp.br/pub/samba/pwdump/pwdump.exe

The "tail" of its README:
+-------------------------------+
Source code
-----------

The source code for this utility may be found in

ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/pwdump/pwdump.c

Note that this code needs a DES library to compile. The one I used in
development is Eric Young's excellent DES library found at :

ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/DES/libdes-4.01.tar.gz

which compiles fine under Windows NT. I used Microsoft Visual C++ 4.x
as the compile environment. The code pwdump.exe is provided for people
who do not have a compiler and is a binary of the program for x86 NT
machines (are there any other kind :-).

Please report all bugs to :

Jeremy Allison,
jeremy at valinux.com

Then I made a script, getting the username and the passwords from the file
generated by this pwdump program. With this username, I got the correct
Uid (from the /etc/passwd) and the correct names also. Then, I put them
together in a smbpasswd file (adding a ":[U          ]:LCT-39841916:" at
the end of each line - "ad hoc" :-))

Then I tested and everything worked fine.

That's all.