Default IE preferences

eirvine eirvine at tpgi.com.au
Wed Aug 2 08:59:34 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I've been using Samba as a win-9x logon server in a high school
for quite a while now. Roving profiles etc. Most of my  users
(1650 of 'em) are not up to setting the Explorer proxy/home page
preferences for themselves, so I created a standard USER.DAT file
that gets copied to their HOME share when they first log on.

This worked fine with Win9x.

I've been experimenting with samba 2.07 and NT4. I seem to have the
roving profile/logon thing happening now, but when I use
a standard NTUSER.DAT file, it seems to kill the profile thing for my
users stone dead. If they log in for the first time, with no NTUSER.DAT
file, roving profiles are A-OK, but IE proxy settings are not set to
the defaults that I want.

I need a user-transparent way to set up the IE home-page/proxy pac file
for new users. With the age of my staff and the adolescence of my
students, education is not an answer.

I don't have an NT server here - it is all FreeBSD/Samba.

Any ideas?

Eddie.