Forcing Password Change

Mark Cave-Ayland mca198 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 1 20:42:04 GMT 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Elrond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, password-change forcing wasn't requested for a long
> time (to be honest, I don't remember any request).
>
> And it isn't currently supported in any form by samba (not
> even by TNG).
>
> I could find out how to do it for nt-clients (I've got an
> nt-pdc and clients to trace this stuff, if realy needed).
> But since I don't have any 9x, I can't trace this and I
> don't know anything about the 9x-stuff in samba.
> I even don't know, if 9x supports this.
>
>     Elrond

Hi there,

I used to be an admin for a network with an NT4 server with Win9x
clients. As I remember it, in User Manager for domains, when you double
click on a user, there is a tick box labelled "User must change password"
or something similar.

Once this is set, the next time the user logs on, Win9x replies with a
dialogue box saying "Your password for [domain] has expired. Please
specify a new one". It then takes you straight to the change password
section of control panel and you must set a valid password before reaching
the desktop.

Because of that, I always thought that it would be similar to disabling
an account; ie there would need to be an (E? for expired?) flag or
something similar added to /etc/smbpasswd and that maybe using samedit
with samuserset(2) against an NT server with the correct bitmask would
set the password change flag for that user?

Cheers,

Mark.