cvs compile-probs (was Re: was [TNG] Status (and merging))

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Tue Aug 1 17:28:43 GMT 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:12:36PM +0200, Åke Holmlund wrote:
> Elrond wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:30:28PM +1000, Åke Holmlund wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Right now I'm using TNG 2.5 on Sun/sparc Solaris 7. I tried a cvs checkout
> > > yesterday but it didn't compile and I didn't have time to look into it:
> > >
> > > Linking bin/smbd
> > > ild: (undefined symbol) is_msdfs_volume -- referenced in the text segment of
> > > smbd/trans2.o
> > > *** Error code 5
> > > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bin/smbd'
> >
> > This sounds like you were trying --with-msdfs or something
> > like that. msdfs isn't working currently in TNG.
> >
> > Could you retry the compile?
>
> I just did a cvs update, make clean, configure and make. Same problem.
> I ran configure with this script:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> /bin/rm config.cache
> env \
> CFLAGS="-g -xsb" \
> ./configure \
> --prefix=/local/opt/Samba \
> --sysconfdir=/var/conf/Samba \
> --localstatedir=/var/conf/Samba \
> --with-privatedir=/var/conf/Samba/private \
> --with-lockdir=/var/conf/Samba/locks \
> --with-ldap \
> --with-quotas

Hmmm... that looks crazy...
What OS/version and compiler/version are you using there?

I'm using configure.nodebug.developer from the
source-directory, but that be mostly compatible with yours,
except, it's not doing ldap and quotas.

source $ nm smbd/trans2.o | grep is_msdfs
         U is_msdfs_volume
source $ nm msdfs/msdfs.o | grep is_
00000014 T is_msdfs_volume

And msdfs/msdfos.o is in the linkline from Makefile.in. So
I currently don't have any idea, what's happening... can
you try to investigate this a little?

(msdfs/msdfs.o should provide a dummy is_msdfs_volume,
which simply does "return True;", and I currently don't
see, why it should not be compiled in.)

Stupid question: Are you sure, you got a current CVS with
tag SAMBA_TNG ?

> > > This is "working" (there are problems but I think I can live with them):
> > >
> > > - W2k machines can join the domain and users can log in. Profiles work.
> > >   Haven't tried policies yet (W2k an poicies, hmm....:-)
> >
> > Great.
>
> Well, actually one W2k machine (out of 2 "2k and 1 NT4) cmpleatly refuses
> to deal with the profiles but that machine is not important right now.

Hmmm... Since it is one out of two, I currently tend to say
"their fault" ;)

> However policies seem to work ok on all machines so far.
[...]
> > > - Passwords are my biggest problem right now. Smbpasswd doesn't get the
> > >   NT-password (hash) right and I really need a way for users to change their
> > >   passwords.
> > >
> > >   There is also a "minor" problem with populating the LDAP database with
> > >   ~1000 users and passwords....... Yes, I have read encryption.txt but it
> > >   doesn't seem to help. I will probably have to create a script that
> > >   populates the LDAP database from out NIS+ tables, creates and sets
> > >   a random password and send a mail to every user telling them the
> > >   password and how to change it (every potential W2k user is also a
> > >   Unix user). Anyone done this before? :-)
> >
> > I've no idea, if that works with LDAP (but it should):
> >
> > As root:
> >
> > rpcclient -S . -U root% -c "createuser foo -p pw_for_foo"
> >
> > will create the account for user foo and set the password.
>
> Setting the password from samedit works, at least for root (haven't tried
> rpcclient).

samedit is a subset of rpcclient, if samedit does
something, rpcclient will do it too.

In my examples, I always use rpcclient, because I know, it
will always have the commands that I use in my examples. ;)

> > Users should be able to set their password from
> > Alt-Ctrl-Del.
>
> Doesn't work.

I hope, it is working in current cvs... (if you get to
compile it or at least find the problem)

> Also smbpasswd seems to get the LM-password right but screws
> up the NT-password. Haven't had time to investigate since I'm getting ready
> for a 2 week vacation starting sunday :-)

Oh well... Luke wants smbpasswd to die... so don't trust it
a lot...

samedit (rpcclient) currently should realy work better...)

> Once again, this is using TNG 2.5 on Solaris 7/sparc. There's also a number

Ahh... OS/version.

> of other things not working but I'm not too worried about them right now!

Examples? Also I've to note, I'm more interested, wether
they still would fail in current CVS.

> /ÅH

    Elrond