was [TNG] Status (and merging)

Åke Holmlund holm at informatik.umu.se
Tue Aug 1 15:12:36 GMT 2000

Elrond wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:30:28PM +1000, Åke Holmlund wrote:
> [...]
> > Right now I'm using TNG 2.5 on Sun/sparc Solaris 7. I tried a cvs checkout
> > yesterday but it didn't compile and I didn't have time to look into it:
> >
> > Linking bin/smbd
> > ild: (undefined symbol) is_msdfs_volume -- referenced in the text segment of
> > smbd/trans2.o
> > *** Error code 5
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bin/smbd'
>
> This sounds like you were trying --with-msdfs or something
> like that. msdfs isn't working currently in TNG.
>
> Could you retry the compile?

I just did a cvs update, make clean, configure and make. Same problem.
I ran configure with this script:

#! /bin/sh
/bin/rm config.cache
env \
CFLAGS="-g -xsb" \
./configure \
--prefix=/local/opt/Samba \
--sysconfdir=/var/conf/Samba \
--localstatedir=/var/conf/Samba \
--with-privatedir=/var/conf/Samba/private \
--with-lockdir=/var/conf/Samba/locks \
--with-ldap \
--with-quotas

> > This is "working" (there are problems but I think I can live with them):
> >
> > - W2k machines can join the domain and users can log in. Profiles work.
> >   Haven't tried policies yet (W2k an poicies, hmm....:-)
>
> Great.

Well, actually one W2k machine (out of 2 "2k and 1 NT4) cmpleatly refuses
to deal with the profiles but that machine is not important right now.
However policies seem to work ok on all machines so far.

> > - Printing kind of works. However, I get a number (~2-4) "empty" print-
> >   jobs everty time i try to print something. I will write a small lp-
> >   wrapper and just remove those empty print files.
> >
> >   There is also a problem with the %p variable. It's used for both the
> >   printer name in print commands and in connection with NIS maps. The
> >   NIS map code interferes with the print commands. I just commented out
> >   the NIS-code :-)
>
> printing is completely uninteresting to me currently,
> sorry.
>
> Your best option currently is to get a 2.0.7 samba, put it
> on another machine (or, if you're good at tweaking the
> interfaces parameter and setting up virtual interfaces: on
> the same machine and give that thing another netbios name
> [No, I never did this, but it should work]) and make that
> new machine a member of the domain. It wont be great
> nt-style printing, but it will work.

After writing a "print script" on the server, it's now possible to print.

> > - Shares seem to work.
> >
> > - Passwords are my biggest problem right now. Smbpasswd doesn't get the
> >   NT-password (hash) right and I really need a way for users to change their
> >   passwords.
> >
> >   There is also a "minor" problem with populating the LDAP database with
> >   ~1000 users and passwords....... Yes, I have read encryption.txt but it
> >   doesn't seem to help. I will probably have to create a script that
> >   populates the LDAP database from out NIS+ tables, creates and sets
> >   a random password and send a mail to every user telling them the
> >   password and how to change it (every potential W2k user is also a
> >   Unix user). Anyone done this before? :-)
>
> I've no idea, if that works with LDAP (but it should):
>
> As root:
>
> rpcclient -S . -U root% -c "createuser foo -p pw_for_foo"
>
> will create the account for user foo and set the password.

Setting the password from samedit works, at least for root (haven't tried
rpcclient).

> Users should be able to set their password from
> Alt-Ctrl-Del.

Doesn't work. Also smbpasswd seems to get the LM-password right but screws
up the NT-password. Haven't had time to investigate since I'm getting ready
for a 2 week vacation starting sunday :-)

Once again, this is using TNG 2.5 on Solaris 7/sparc. There's also a number
of other things not working but I'm not too worried about them right now!

/ÅH