strange behavior with roaming-profiles on NT4 and samba2.06

James Tait JTait at wyrddreams.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 30 21:28:32 GMT 2000

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, peter pilsl wrote:

> I logon machine A and create two files on the desktop
> I logoff machine A
> (looking on the server in my profile shows that the files are there now)
> I logon machine B and have the two files.
> I delete them
> I logoff machine B
> (looking on the server shows that the files are not there any more)
> I logon machine B, find no files and logoff.
> I logon machine A again and suddenly have the two files again !!!!
> I logoff machine A and now the files are stored on the server again!!
>
> The files where stored in the local copy of the profile on machineA but
> shouldnt they be deleted when loggin on again ?

I get exactly this behaviour at work with NT4 SP4 clients and and NT4
Server PDC.  I'm a sysadmin, so my old profile is splattered on desktops
all over the site!  Delete the locally-stored profile (I just get rid of
C:\WINNT\Profiles\JTait*.*) and next time you login on that workstation
it'll download your current romaing profile from the server.  I believe
there is a reg hack to stop it storing the profile locally - search the
archives.

Cheers,

JT