Compiling for use on another host

Kurt Fitzner kf_bulk at nexus.v-wave.com
Fri Apr 28 19:57:53 GMT 2000

What I have done with some success, is to use chroot in conjunction with nfs.

I have a small Linux gateway (guardian), and my main Linux server (hack).  I
have guardian's root directory exported to hack via nfs.  What I do when i
want to compile samba on guardian is:

 1) Run configure while actually logged into guardian.  Theconfigure script
has real problems with nfs.

 2) While logged into hack, I switch directories into guardian's NFS mount
point and do a 'chroot .' (have to be root).

 3) Once I am 'chrooted', I am essentially using hack's CPU in guardian's
installation.  Every binary I run is from guardian, all the libraries that
are loaded are from guardian.  I can even 'su' into users on guardian that
don't exist on hack.  NFS and chroot can really be your friend.

At this point, I do a make, and make install.  Works likea  charm.  I
sometimes have to remember not to try and run samba this way, since a chroot
doesn't magically remap ethernet cards. :)

Hope this helps.

        Kurt.