Samba TNG FAQ updated

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Thu Apr 27 19:29:28 GMT 2000

    Lars> Paul J Collins wrote:
    >> I also made a statement that DOMAIN\Domain Admins (as well as
    >> Domain Users and Domain Guests) are not added to the equivalent
    >> local groups on the domain controllers (i.e. in the domain
    >> SAM).  In fact, they are.  I checked today on a few NT domains.
    Lars> Yes, i was checking this today too. I hope we mean the same!
    Lars> :-)

    Lars> It's a windows NT network only.  If a add a user to <Windows
    Lars> NT Domain>\Administrators(which is shown as local group),
    Lars> and there after switch to the local domain(= workstation
    Lars> name) in usermanager for domains, the user isn't anymore in
    Lars> the local Administartors group.  So it must be possible to

That is because the local groups on workstations and servers are
distinct from the local groups in the domain.  Local groups in the
domain are of no relevance to domain members.

    Lars> do teh same with Samba TNG. At least it should be able to
    Lars> add a user to the Administrators group, without the need to
    Lars> modify the groups at the workstation.  Am i right? Correct
    Lars> me if i'm wrong.

I don't think Samba needs to support nesting of global groups in local
groups in its own SAM.  The nesting support on the workstations and
servers is all you need for the domain to operate correctly.

Whenever you join a machine to a domain, the global groups "Domain
Admins", "Domain Guests" and "Domain Users" get added to the
workstations corresponding local groups (in fact, WSes can *only* have
local groups).  That is:

Global group            inserted into   local group

DOMAIN\Domain Admins                    WS\Administrators
DOMAIN\Domain Guests                    WS\Guests
DOMAIN\Domain Users                     WS\Users

Since a workstation grants the right "Log on locally" to WS\Users by
default, the insertion of DOMAIN\Domain Admins into WS\Users enables
all domain users to log into that workstation.

Global groups:

* are only in the domain SAM
* can only contain users

Local groups:

* are in both the domain SAM and domain members' SAMs
* can contain users and/or global groups

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD