TNG & 3.0.0 2.1??

Anders C. Thorsen anders at aae.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 26 13:54:56 GMT 2000

> Hi,
>
> I couldn't fiund this in the FAQ so could someone please enlighten me,
>
> What will be the next major release of Samba 2.1 or 3.0?

probably 3.0 in the fall of 2000 (we can only hope....)

> Will this have PDC support (for 2000)?

If you run Win2000 in legacy mode (i.e. NT 4 domains)
In other words: no, TNG is aimed at supporting the NT4 domain structure,
and not the Win2000 one.
[Wether or not using / implementing the Win2000 structure was discussed a while back.]

> Will TNG become 3.0 or 2.1 when the time is right?

3.0 i believe, but this might be a questin for Luke

> What is to be done before this happens (if it happens) ie whats
> missing?  Are there still features being added or is it just bugfixes?

I believe the main functionality is reached, however samba is still in heavily
developement. Several of the current implementations work, but they have issues,among them security.  I WOULD NOT recomend anyone to run TNG in production environment, as this might break your server on a daily basis.

> WHich leads to are we (very roughly) talking a couple of months or
> several months to the mext major release?

see above

Maybe someone could confirm some of this stuff (Luke?? Richard??...)
and then Lars could add it to this FAQ's and stuff

--Anders
anders at aae.wisc.edu
thorsen at cs.wisc.edu