smb- and UNIX passwords

Anders C. Thorsen anders at aae.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 26 13:58:45 GMT 2000

>    I have samba-tng-alfa-2.4.1.
>    It installs correctly, but when I try to log in from NT Workstation it says that computer name account doesn'n exists in database. (I add name$ and username in smbpasswd).
>  The first question is  -- what password shoul I use for the trust computer?
>  (what should I see in smbpasswd)
>  Does samba check passwords from passwd and shadow files?
yes and no.... [only in share mode tough]

initial password for a trust account should be 'machine' i believe. This
is an assumption NT makes :)

The best way to add the account is using these nifty tools that Luke's made.
[Soon we can make shell scripts that remotely can crash an entire network :)]

otherwise use smbpasswd -a -m machine
[if this one still works in TNG-2.4]

--Anders