joining samba-tng2.5 to NT4 domain

Pieter Grimmerink p.grimmerink at home.nl
Tue Apr 25 12:59:03 GMT 2000

With samba-tng-alpha.2.5, I still can't join a (linux) samba workstation to
an NT 4.0 server controlled domain.
This is what I've tried, and what was reported;

rpcclient -S ntserver -Uadministrator%passwd -Wdomain

lsaquery

use \\samba -Uroot%passwd -Wsamba

createuser samba$ -s -jdomain

SAM Create Domain User
Got a positive name query response from 90.0.1.1 ( 90.0.1.1 )
error connecting to 90.0.1.1:445 (Connection refused)
Domain: IPC Name: samba$ ACB: [S          ]
Create Domain User: OK
Join SAMBA to Domain DOMAIN
LSA_OPENSECRET: unknown error
Set $MACHINE.ACC: OK

Note; with samba-tng 2.4 I did not get this LSA_OPENSECRET error, but the
resulting machine account did not work. with samba-tng 2.5, the machine
account seems to be created, but might be corrupt (?)
When I then try to connect to the samba workstation, (using smbclient, or
ntlogin from rpcclient) this fails, and I get the following entries in the
smb logfile;

log.smb:

cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed.  status: c000018b
domain_client_validate: credentials failed (\\NTSERVER)
SMB LM/NT Password did not match!
Rejecting user 'username': authentication failed

Am I doing something wrong?
(It seemed to me that everyone was very enthousiastic about 2.5, so why
doesn't it work for me?)

Best regards,

Pieter