Questions

Kyle Peterson kyle_peterson1 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 23 23:45:35 GMT 2000

I configured samba using the --without-pam option.  It doesn't matter which
client I'm using to replicate the problem.  I mainly use win98se, but I use
smbclient for testing a new install of samba.  When I use smbclient to test
I use the following:
    smbclient \\\\SERVER\\root -U root
then it asks for the password I enter it and it displays "failed session
setup" 2 times. I've added root and all my other usernames with
'smbpasswd -a username'.

Here is my smb.conf file

[global]
 workgroup = PHOENIX
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 update encrypted = Yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
 username map = /usr/local/samba/private/smbusers
 unix password sync = Yes
 log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
 time server = Yes
 deadtime = 15
 lpq cache time = 3
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
 load printers = No
 logon script = login.bat
 logon path = \\SERVER\profile\%U
 logon drive = U:
 logon home = \\SERVER\%U
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 65
 preferred master = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 wins support = Yes
 admin users = petersonk

Here is the log file:

ncalrpc_l_establish_connection: failed lsarpc)
ncalrpc_l_use_add: connection failed
SMB LM/NT Password did not match!
Rejecting user 'root': authentication failed