TNG-alpha 2.4.2: can't join domain

John Weber jweber at math.cudenver.edu
Sat Apr 22 01:01:20 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've run into this problem in my alternate test setup and I can't figure
out the difference between this and my main test setup. I'm using tng 2.4
and 2.4.2 on may main and just today installed 2.4 on the alternate.

I've had to unjoin the domain and then reboot to get NT4 workstations to
join a new domain, but it doesn't work with my latest (alternate) install.

My main install is working OK as far as joining, but suffers some of the
problems noted just a few hours ago by Michael Glauche. (included with
comments after Paul J Collins message).

Now you got me thinking out loud, but I like to know others are having the
same problems.

I'm using vmware RH6.1 server and vmware NT4SP6 clients in my main setup
and RH6.1 host machine and vmware NT4SP6 clients in my alternate setup.

John S. Weber

System Administrator
Center for Computational Mathematics
University of Colorado at Denver
Phone: (303)556-5394 Fax: (303)556-8550
jweber at math.cudenver.edu
http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~jweber

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Michael Glauche wrote:
> So, I did continue testing 2.2, and run into a couple of more problems:
> a) During logon screen, when I enter a wrong password, it takes VERY
> long
> time to verify, then I get something like "cannot log in to domain ...
> error code
> C0000253".
> The strange thing is, that ALL following logins fail with a simmilar
> message, but
> with error nr# C0000037

This I noticed with tng 2.4

> b) sometimes the profiles are written as root, sometimes as user. That
> leads to many
> problems using profiles ;) but outsourcing them to a 2.0.7pre4 server
> works fine ;)

I noticed profile problems when copying the profiles from 2.4 install to
2.4.2

> c) When I try to change the password I sometimes get the error "cant
> change password,
> error c00000BE"

Didn't try this.

> d) sometimes NT tells me it can't find domain controller, usually after
> logging
> of one user. TNG is wins-server, client is registered, etc. did not look
> any further
> into this one yet. too tired ;)

Noticed with tng 2.4.2. It does let users to log in, but then claims it
can't find domain controller.

> This can only be cured with a reboot of NT, then everything works fine
> again.

True.