TNG-alpha 2.4.2: can't join domain

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Fri Apr 21 23:50:34 GMT 2000

    Paul> workstation, GENUA to the domain.  I don't see any obvious
    Paul> errors in the Samba logs, but the NT box reports that it is
    Paul> "Unable to update local security in order to join domain".

I just looked up this message in the KB, and I found article Q178635,
which specifially refers to trusted domain-related problems with a
tool called NETDOM.

This is what it says:

  Windows NT maintains a list of trusted domains. For a workstation,
  this list contains only one element, the domain of which the
  workstation is a member.

I understand this part.

  Prior to version 1.7, NETDOM was not aware of the trusted domain
  under a domain member. Thereby the GUI checks this information
  before changing domain.

The first sentence of this paragraph doesn't make much sense to me.
Is it garbage, or is it correct but written very badly?  The only
possible meaning I can glean from it is that the problem is related to
the fact that my workstation was previously in another domain.

If this "thinking out loud" is annoying you all, please do say.

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD