o/t info request

iddwb David.Bear at asu.edu
Tue Apr 18 23:36:39 GMT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Michael G. Hudgell wrote:

> Completely off-topic I know, but does anyone know if there is a product for
> UNIX which would act as a cheap drop-in replacement for an Exchange Server?

nothing... if what you want is an exchange server.  My guess is microsoft
has closely guarded the rpc's they use for communication between outlook
and exchange.

But, if what you want is a product equivalent: mail, share folders,
calendars, server side agents, global address (ldap), etc., then Lotus
Notes is a solid competitor.  It runs on various *ix's (Aix, Linux??,
HPUX, Solaris) and NT.  Whereas exchange only runs on NT.  With win2000
you see a complete marraige of exchange and the active directory.  So, as
far as commercial products go, Notes about the only thing I can think of
that is a real competitor.  (Novell groupwise also has many of these
features but its death is that is runs on netware... not Unix -- at least
last time I checked)

Now, in the free/open source domain, you would have to run and Imap
daemon, a POP daemon, an Ldap server, possible samba (for shared folders),
and some other calendar daemon (don't know of any off hand) to get close
to the functionality of exchange.

David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU