TNG-2.4.1; 1st domain logon succeeds, none after that

Paul J Collins sneakums at eircom.net
Mon Apr 17 23:53:29 GMT 2000

Hello everyone.

I've built and installed TNG alpha 2.4.1 on my Mandrake 6.1 box.  I
have been able to add a workstation to the domain by creating the
machine account using samedit::createuser and then doing the usual
from Network properties on the NT box.  The NT machine is NT4 WS SP5
running in a VMWare session.

Domain: ONDIOLINE
PDC: STO-KERRIG
Workstation: PSEUDOPOLIS

Domain login succeeds the first time I try it after the NT box boots.
The profile is created on the server's profile share, and I have
access to the PDC's shares.  I can access other user's home shares by
providing the relevant username and password.  However, if I log out
and then try to log in again as the same or a different user, I get
message about the roaming profile not being available.  I OK this
message and then I get the "domain not available" error.  If my cached
credentials were used, I can still access my own home share, but
trying to access another user's home share gives a "network name not
found" error.  When I look in the Event Log, there are four messages
from Rdr complaining about short SMBs and then a message from NETLOGON
saying that the domain is not available.

If I log out of the workstation and shut down and restart Samba, I can
log in once again, but once only.  After that I get the same errors
about not being able to contact the domain.

Below are my smb.conf and the relevant events saved from Event Viewer
as CSV.  I just realised that the data from the events was not saved
in the CSV.  Damn.  Also note that the NT box's time is about 5
minutes behind the Linux box's time.

I deleted all my samba logs before I tried this fresh.  The logs
resulting from the actions detailed above have been uploaded to
http://homepage.eircom.net/~sneakums/tng.tar.gz  The file is about
870KB; log level is 100.

I am not on the list; I will try to keep up via the Web archive, but
if you need any further info, please feel free to mail me.

Hope this is of use,

Paul.

---BEGIN "smb.conf"---

[global]
debug level = 100
guest account = ftp

netbios name = STO-KERRIG
server string = Samba (Primary DC)
workgroup = ONDIOLINE
interfaces = 172.16.252.1/16 127.0.0.1/8

domain group map = /usr/local/samba-TNG/private/domaingroup.map
domain alias map = /usr/local/samba-TNG/private/domainalias.map

security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

wins support = yes
time server = yes

logon script = login.bat
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\STO-KERRIG\%U
logon path = \\STO-KERRIG\profile$\%U

print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

[homes]
browseable = no
writable = yes
comment = Users' home directories

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share

[profile$]
path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/profile
writeable = yes

[printers]
printing = bsd
comment = All Printers
path = /tmp
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes

[print$]
path = /usr/local/samba-TNG/print
writable = yes
guest ok = yes

---END "smb.conf"---

---BEGIN "events"---

4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,NETLOGON,Error,None,5719,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,No Windows NT Domain Controller is available for domain ONDIOLINE. (This event is expected and can be ignored when booting with the 'No Net' Hardware Profile.)  The following error occurred:
The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The redirector received an SMB that was too short.
4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The redirector received an SMB that was too short.
4/17/00,11:45:40 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The redirector received an SMB that was too short.
4/17/00,11:45:39 PM,Rdr,Warning,None,3006,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The redirector received an SMB that was too short.
4/17/00,10:48:07 PM,EventLog,Information,None,6005,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,The Event log service was started.
4/17/00,10:48:07 PM,EventLog,Information,None,6009,N/A,PSEUDOPOLIS,Microsoft (R) Windows NT (R) 4.0 1381 Service Pack 5 Uniprocessor Free.

---END "events"---

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD