More NT PDC and Samba troubles - can you help?

Greg Kopp gkopp at gregkopp.com
Fri Apr 14 14:53:05 GMT 2000

I have the Samba 2.0.5 RPM's installed on my RedHat 6.1 linux box. Here is
my smb.conf file:

[global]
        netbios name = 7OF9
        workgroup = IDEASTAR
        guest account = nobody
        security = domain
        password server = ISTAR-FS1
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        domain master = no
        interfaces = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/25 localhost
        bind interfaces only = yes
        dns proxy = no
        username map = /etc/smbusers

[www]
        comment = Voyager Web Files
        path = /usr/local/www
        writable = yes

My smbusers file looks like this:

webuser = user1, user2, user3

The share above is owned by the unix user account webuser.

BUT, in order for the users on the network to actually use this volume, I
had to manually add thier NT usernames to the smbusers file. If I remove
that file and it's corresponding username map entry, you can't browse the
volume. It asks you for a password.

Is there a way to have true NT domain authentication? What steps do I need
to take so I can add persons to a "Web" group on the NT domain and
automatically give that group access to the listed share?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg