hdd timeout? was share disappeares smbd/server.c:exit_server(408)

Bernhard Ertl ertl at emp.paed.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 14 11:13:36 GMT 2000

Hi,

I got a new idea. I have heared sth. about segate scsi hdds having problems with the write cache which may lead
to delays about 3 minutes (I only heared it from sinix-z).

Theory: with increasing netload the possibility of a writing operation to run into cache troubles increases.
Three minutes pause, then it works again....
(also might be totally bullshit)

Could anyone tell me what error 408 exactly means?

Does anyon know anything how to disable this write cache?

has anyone similar ( or other timeout) problems who is using segate / Ibm drives

Be