Win98 troubles

Clair Roberts croberts at advanceddelivery.com
Thu Apr 13 17:54:52 GMT 2000

-- win98 (I know, I know, yuk)
-- Solaris 2.7  Samba TNG (checked out 2000/04/11,  I believe it's alpha
2.3)

My NT4(SP6a) workstation is connecting and doesn't seem to be having any
troubles.

But, that pesky Win98 laptop seems to be another story.  It connect's to the
Domain no problem.
but it can't browse the samba server.  Using Explorer the samba server shows
up in the list along with the
other machines, but when it is explicitly selected this error occurs:

   \SAMBA-TNG is unavailiable
   This device does not exist on the network.

Now I know it is there and working because the NT machine is happy.  Sooo I
tried the old map network drive trick and
presto no problem.  At least on the surface.  Now that darn machine seems to
be crashing like made (I mean more than usual)
when I check smbstatus it shows that files are locked for that machine even
after the machine is off.

Anybody else having these types of problems?

I have the logs from level 100, they are pretty big, I am not sure which are
relevant.  Let me know if there is something specific I can pick out of
them.

here is my smb.conf. --

[global]

#NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
#  netbios name = ELK
  workgroup = ADSL

#flat files that map Unix groups to NT type groups.
#these files take the form unix_group = `Windows NT group''
  domain group map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domaingroup.map
  domain alias map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domainalias.map
  domain user map= /opt/samba-tng/private/domainuser.map

  username map = /opt/samba-tng/private/usermap

#Domain controllers use user security and we need encrypted
#passwords (see ENCRYPTION.txt)
  security = user
  domain logons = yes
  encrypt passwords = yes

#And in order for us to be *sure* to win browser elections
  os level = 65
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  local master = yes

#WINS is the equivalent of DNS for NetBIOS.
  wins support = yes
  time server = yes

#the next lines are equivalent to the various profile details
#found in NT's User Manager
  logon script = login.bat
  logon drive = U:
  logon home = \\ELK\%U
  logon path = \\ELK\profile\%U

  hosts allow = 192.168.1.
  log level = 100
  log file = /opt/samba-tng/var/log.%m
#   max log size = 500
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  browseable = yes

  guest account = pcuser
#  invalid users = daemon, bin, sys, adm, lp, uucp, lp, nuucp, listen,
nobody, noaccess, nobody4, pcuser

#share all home directories
[homes]
  browseable = no
  writable = yes
  comment = Users' home directories

#set up netlogon share for system policies and login scripts
[netlogon]
  path = /opt/samba-tng/netlogon
  writable = no
  guest ok = no
  comment = PDC netlogon share

#the profiles share
#to create automatic subdirs for the different users
#chmod 1777 /opt/samba-tng/profile
[profile]
  path = /opt/samba-tng/profile
  writable = yes