Group map files

Michael S. Hulet hulet at ittc.ukans.edu
Wed Apr 12 14:45:34 GMT 2000

My experience with the /etc/group thing has been this.  If any of your
samba users (smbpasswd) are in a group (/etc/group) which is also a user
(/etc/passwd), you will have trouble.  If you have an adm group and an adm
user but no samba users are in the group and adm is not a samba user, it
doesn't affect samba. I also had trouble with large /etc/group files ( >
4000 characters).  You get the message:

"A domain controller for your domain could not be contacted.  You have
been logged on using cached account information.
Changes to your profile since you last logged on may not be available."

If any of your samba users (smbpasswd) are in a group (/etc/group) which
is also a user (/etc/passwd), you get:

"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect."

The size of the /etc/group observation is not definitive.  It seems to
also be affected by the load on the server.  But if my /etc/group is
< 3500 characters, everything seems to work as advertised.

Michael Hulet
Network System Administrator
ITTC, University of Kansas