[ADVANCE NOTICE] usernames limited to 8 chars gonna be nasty..

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:18:56 GMT 2000

If this is a serious suggestions, then...

Though I do not find the idea of exceeding the 8 character unix username
system, it seems that a dual compatible system could be created by using
duplicate UID/GID/Home dir information for each user...

eg:(/etc/passwd)
userdude:x:1001:100:Samba User,,,:/home/userdude:/bin/bash
HOME\userdude:x:1001:100:Samba User,,,:/home/uuserdude:/bin/bash

The thought of tampering with /etc/passwd's fields which may be
misunderstood, or poorly truncated by other programs rubs me wrong. At
least you are not suggesting using the ":" as your field seperator. ]:>

Any reason why smbpasswd cannot be setup to check for the existance of a
"\" in its username field, and then parse it into two parts without
tampering with the /etc/passwd system file? This would isolate the changes
needed by it to its own config files. User matching would need to catch on
UID, not string comparisons of username in /etc/passwd when creating new
smb accounts with smbpasswd, but you people are spending the time to make
the code.

Thanks for your work on SaMBa. (long time user, long time multi-samba
mailing list lurker)

-M