[ADVANCE NOTICE] usernames limited to 8 chars gonna be nasty..

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Apr 10 08:16:44 GMT 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Eizenberg Ariel wrote:

> Does this mean that for each user I have I'll need to entries in
> /etc/passwd?:
>   arielez:......
>   HOME\arielez:......
>
> Won't that make to many synchronizations neccessary?
> (I can't ask my users to login with 'HOME\name' on unix machines - it
> doesn't make sense)

the default will be that for entries with the "workgroup = YOUROWNDOMAIN"
you will _not_ need /etc/passwd YOUROWNDOMAIN\username.

let's say you have security = domain, workgroup = MYWORKGROUP, your samba
server is called MYWORKSTATIONNAME.

this means that the local administrator account will have to be:

MYWORKSTATIONNAME\Administrator.

or, MYWORKSTATIONNAME\root, if you prefer.