[ACL-Devel] Re: OT: ACLs for Linux

Andreas Gruenbacher a.gruenbacher at bestbits.at
Sun Apr 9 09:35:56 GMT 2000

Dominik Kubla wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 06:20:43PM +1000, Edward Schernau wrote:
> > If anyone has any experience setting this up, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Look at http://acl.bestbits.at/.  I had it working on x86,  SPARC and Alpha
> until i had  to migrate to the  2.3.x kernels for my  development work. Not
> much of a problem to set it up if you follow the instructions.
>
> Most important is to replace the fsck  tool so you don't "fix" the ACL disk
> blocks. Biggest problem  right now is that nobody implemented  the ACL over
> NFS protocol, so using ACL's together with NFS is not supported. (I started
> once, but  never got very  far...) And you are  locked to the  2.2.x kernel
> series at the moment.
>
> Most important: This is BETA quality code. Use it at your own risk!
>
> Andreas, did i miss something?

There's even some ALPHA quality stuff. Anyone who is willing to do some
testing/debugging should take a look at the latest acc-* code. This is going to
support ACLs as well as Capabilities etc.

For (semi-)production systems I really recommend the latest stable version on a
2.2.13 kernel.

Andreas

 Andreas Gruenbacher, a.gruenbacher at computer.org
 Contact information: http://www.bestbits.at/~ag/