Windows can't find my PDC

Steffen Moser moser at egu.schule.ulm.de
Sun Apr 9 08:29:40 GMT 2000

Hello,

"Miles A. Peterson" wrote:

> I'm having some problems.. I've looked at a ton of docs, all kinds of
> pages and such, but none of them have any new information for me.  im
> trying to use samba 2.0.6 as a PDC.. i have it all setup, and when i try
> to logon via one of my windows machines, it just hangs for a second and
> says it couldnt find a domain server..

Which OS are you running on your Windows machines? If you are running
"Windows 2000", you cannot use "samba-2.0.x" as a domain controller. You
have to use "samba-TNG" then.

> i've seen many posts about this TNG thing, i have no idea what it is.. do
> i need it?

I think it depends on what client machines you are running. If you have
only "Win9x" machines, you should continue in using "samba-2.0.x".

> and do the IPs of my network have to be INTERNAL to work?  or
> can they just be other IP's that i own (which are externaL)?  i'd
> appreciate ANY help at all..

You can use external or internal (e.g. "10.x.y.z") addresses.

Regards,
Steffen