tng1.8 problems

Eizenberg Ariel arielez at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Apr 9 07:28:41 GMT 2000

I've been using a CVS version (from ~6 month ago) of samba-tng for 6 month
now, and my nt4 clients had no problems loging on it.
I've tried to upgrade to tng1.8 yesterday, but I got several problems:

1) NT workstation won't login anymore (I've remmoved then from the
   domain and re-added them when upgrading)
2) I get erros like:
 socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused
3) I started with an empty smbpasswd and created a root acount using
 smbpasswd -a root
   I set the password temporarily to 123456. The problem is that I can
   logon with rpcclient with any password I want, i.e.
   I don't get any error if I do
 rpcclient -S . -W HOME -U root%abcdef

4) Changing passwords using rpcclient/samedit and the ntpass command
   always fails:

More examples of errors:

[HOME\root at .]$ createuser excalibur$
createuser excalibur$
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: HOME Name: excalibur$ ACB: [W          ]
Resetting Trust Account to insecure, initial, well-known value:
"excalibur"
excalibur can now be joined to the domain, which should
be done on a private, secure network as soon as possible
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused
Create Domain User: OK

[root at ds9 var]# rpcclient -S . -W HOME -U root%123456
added interface ip=192.168.1.5 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
[HOME\root at .]$ ntpass
ntpass
SAM NT Password Change
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused
User: root Domain: HOME
New Password:
retype:
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused
NT Password change FAILED
[HOME\root at .]$ ntlog
ntlog
Enter NT Login password:
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.lsarpc/agent failed: Connection refused
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.NETLOGON/agent failed: Connection refused
cmd_nt_login: login (root) test succeeded: Yes

Does anyone have any ideas?