[newbie]: Samba as a server for Win98 PCS

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Sat Apr 8 07:25:38 GMT 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 05:35:57 +1000, hai scritto:

>	I have 12 Win98 PCs with public IPs connected to the Internet. I want:
Why did you do that? To assign a public ip to a win9x box is a waste :)

>2) That the linux PC provides login access to the other PCs.  (I want to
>eliminate the possibility of the users log  in a Win98 PC and wreck the
>file-system and software).
If you have smart users, then you can't do that. Win9x is not designed
for this.
You could force authentication to the samba domain, but the users could
boot in safe mode and disable this.

>3) That the linux PC controls all hard disks (12) and allocates quotas for each
>users.
Very unlikely.

>4) That the linux PC have a share with all software (Windows 98 software)
>needed in the network.
This is possible, if the software package is ok to be run over the
network.

>5) That Samba is only seen by the 12 PCs and close for the rest the world.
I think you should re-think the network design. You'd better use private
ip addresses.
If the win9x is accessible from the internet, and it mounts a samba
share.....
Maybe you can do ip-masq on the same linux box for all the win9x.

>6) That Linux-samba grants or not access to the Internet.
So you need to install a proxy on the linux box, or do it via ipchains.

>Could someone tell me if the above is possible and how to do it?   Specific
>documentation and how to setup samba-linux-windows98 would be great.
ppp howto, ipmasq howto, ipchains howto.....
ww.oreilly.com for the "Using Samba" book

giulioo at pobox.com