Samba on Linux with no ACL's is making things tough

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Apr 5 02:37:38 GMT 2000

*laugh*.

this is fantastic, and very funny.

i should mention at this point that one of my sub-projects that i am
seriously considering is abstracting security in the linux kernel (i.e
doing a decent job) and then adding the VAX/VMS (i.e NT) security model as
an option.

i wonder what linus and others would think? :-)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Sander Striker wrote:

> I forwarded this to samba-technical and samba-ntdom because this
> issue is something someone is working on. I only can't remember
> who... Luke?
> This looks very promising.
>
> Michael Marschall wrote:
> >I am not sure who suggested it, but I have checked out the Linux Trustee
> >Project and the ACL support seems to work very well. It gives you quite
> >a bit of granularity and there is no noticeable performance hit.  If you
> >are replacing an NT box with Linux/Samba and need to have shares with
> >advanced permission sets then something like this is a must. All you
> >have to do is patch/compile the kernel, compile the settrustee
> >executable and setup your ACL's in a config file. Run the executable to
> >set the acl's and you are in business. I will be testing it thoroughly
> >over the next few weeks to make sure it will not break on me.
> >
> >If anybody has any questions on setup you can email me personally and I
> >will help where I can.
> >
> >Here is a link to the site:
> >
> >http://www.braysystems.com/linux/trustees.html
> >
> >The developer's first language is not English so please disregard the
> >spelling and grammar mistakes. I have offered to help him with
> >documentation and editing.
> >
> >--
> >Michael Marschall
> >Infrastructure Manager
> >VoiceRite, Inc.
> >7725 NW 48th St.
> >Miami, Florida 33166
> >Phone / Fax / Pager : 305 436 1574

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals