what does this error or warning message really mean ?

Jerome Alet alet at unice.fr
Tue Apr 4 14:11:08 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm using Samba-2.0.6 as a PDC under a RedHat 4.2 SparcLinux system with a
2.0.35 kernel and libc 5.3.12

it works fine, however I've got this message in samba-log.smb:

[2000/04/03 17:12:17, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(216)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 246 are
available.

Is it important or not (all seem to work fine and I've got only 5
NT4SP5WKS clients) ?

I've tried to modify the maximum number of files in
/proc/sys/kernel/file-max but it doesn't change anything.

could someone tell me if it's ok to continue with this very old
configuration or if I have to upgrade my kernel+libc ? I plan to set up a
new machine ASAP, but unfortunately ASAP is not soon at all :-(

thanks in advance.

Jerome ALET - alet at unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Faculte de Medecine de Nice - http://noe.unice.fr - Tel: 04 93 37 76 30
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE