Probs installation Samba 2.0.3 on Sol 2.5.1

Wouter Belmans wouter at source.be
Tue Sep 28 12:37:05 GMT 1999

Hello,

I hope I have the right mailadress for reaching the Samba-mailinggroup.

I'm having problems installing Samba version 2.0.3 on a Solaris 2.5.1
machine.
The installation itself was no problem: just a pkgadd of the different
packages (which includes the blat-http server on port 901), and the soft was
installed succesfully.
After sending a sighup to the inetd-process (#kill -1 <processnumber>), I
could connect with a browser to the Samba configuration file. I made a
straightforward smb.conf that, according to me, should let everybody in as
guest "nobody" on three directories (/opt, /disk1, /disk2) without using a
password. I've included the configuration file in the bottom of this mail
(it passes the /usr/local/samba/bin/testparm-utility).
The installation added the following lines to

/etc/inetd.conf:
----------------
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd

/etc/services:
--------------
netbios-ns      137/udp # samba service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp

It looks to me that these are the right entries to startup daemons smbd &
nmbd when ports 137 & 139 are contacted. I have also tried the config by
starting the daemons (/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -d3 ;
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D -d3) from a startup script (commenting out the
netbios services in /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services), that gave the exact
same problems.

The Samba-server is called sparc, and known by all NT-systems on IP-level.
>From an NT system, trying to connect gives the following output:

C:\>net use \\sparc\disk1
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.
C:\>

I do not find anything in the Samba or Solaris log files that reports this
failure in connection.
When I try to connect on the Solaris-machine itself, with the local
Samba-client, I get the following:

#/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient \\sparc\disk1
Error, not enough \'s in \sparcdisk1
#

The connection is not made. The following command makes the connection
succesfully (accepting a null-password):
#/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient \\\\sparc\\disk1

(Maybe that's normal, because in UNIX I have to escape the \-characters??)

Does anybody have any idea what can be wrong?
Thanks a lot,

Wouter BELMANS,
Support Engineer.
Email : wouter at source.be
GSM   : 0477/487.614
OMNIS SOURCE
Lozenberg, 6       Phone +32(0)2/721.54.10
B-1932  ZAVENTEM   Fax  +32(0)2/725.88.50
BELGIUM              http://www.source.be

smb.conf
--------
# Samba config file created using SWAT