Ldap and rids

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Tue Sep 28 08:20:53 GMT 1999

Inge-Håvard Hunstad wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a question about converting a smbpasswd file containing 900 users
> to LDAPs ldif format. The problem is that there is no rid in the
> smbpasswd file. So my question is how do I genererate a rid for each
> user?

We are using a perl script to translate the users from smbpasswd to
ldap.
The bin/smbpaswd compiled with ldap, take care about rids (look at the
nextrid attribute in the sambaconfig entry).
We have 18.000 users in a very small number of groups. The script looks
at the /etc/passwd and do a map between unix group id (gidNumber) and
the desired nt group id. So, for each account we runs the smbpasswd and
a ldapmodify with the additional parameters: smbhome, profile path, and
so in function of gidNumber...

At this moment the script doesn't support for multiple groups for a
user, but with a little of work it can manage the administrative
accounts and add several "member" to the ldap groups.

If you need it I can sent to you... I hope add the script to
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html this weekend.

> I have tried rpcclient it only returns the machine accounts and
> only a few of the users. My PDC is running cvs ver dated 12.05.1999 and

I think is a little old... we are using Aug/05 versions...

Ignacio
Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/